Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Purple Flowers in Vase - Splotching through Paper

This drawing is all about "splotching through paper." First I drew a rough sketch on a piece of ordinary paper - probably 20 lb all-purpose copier paper. Then I colored "splotchily" and heavily on the paper, with my actual drawing card underneath it.

This is a somewhat random/ unpredictable process, and I wouldn't recommend it when you're "almost done" with something that you don't want to ruin. Also, as you can imagine, it wouldn't work with markers that need refilling.

When I was happy with what I saw, I outlined it with sepia and cobalt blue Copic Multiliners. Then I kept on coloring, blending, and splotching. The vase is accented with clear Spica glitter pen, which is hard to see on the computer screen. It adds a subtle sparkle in real life.

Copic colors used: Table E33,37; Mat B06,39; Vase W1,7, YG03,23,95,97,99, V04,09; Flowers and leaves BV00, V04,09, YG95; Shadows W1; Sepia and cobalt multiliners, Spica clear
Paper: white Crane's card approx. 4x6" with part of the bottom cut off (I had "too much table" before I cut it off)

No comments: